What is genius? Is it some supernatural ability of the mind that relatively few are born with? Or is it something that everyone has and can be unleashed if approached correctly? We’ll discuss that in our Thought of the Day. And in the interview, we’ll talk with Angela Maiers, a professional educator who is on a mission to liberate the genius in school children. Learn how she and her team are doing exactly that, one classroom at a time.
Bob’s Thought of the Day
- Why “genius” is much more a result of focused, concentrated effort than of natural talent.
- How passion and natural skill are related to excellence.
- Why you must have both passion and a plan in order to achieve excellence.
Interview with Angela Maiers
- Why most of the innovations at Google came from employees pursuing their passion.
- How to impact a child’s life by seeing and speaking to them as a leader, reader, writer, or other change-maker.
- Why schools are not typically recruiters or incubators of talent, and why you’re only measured in your relation to being above or below average.
- The truth that no matter who you are, you are an educator.
- How to change a child’s life by seeing them as change agents rather than just recipients of our world.
Click to Tweet
Discover why education is everybody’s business. @AngelaMaiers Click To Tweet
Our most powerful weapon for transformation is our language. @AngelaMaiers Click To Tweet
We are all being educated by the web, and we are all part of the education of the web. @AngelaMaiers Click To Tweet
- Angela’s TEDx Des Moines talk
- Liberating Genius: A Framework for Epic Transformation by Angela Maiers
- Classroom Habitudes by Angela Maiers
- Follow Angela Maiers on Twitter: @AngelaMaiers
- Connect with Angela Maiers on Facebook: @AngelaMaiers
- During the month of September, be part of the global conversation on Facebook with the hashtag #LiberatingGenius
- Interact with these groups on Twitter: #edchat, #texedchat, #tllibrarians