Good employees don’t necessarily make good leaders and managers. We’ll look at that in our Thought of the Day. And in our interview segment, management consultant Katy Tynan takes us through one fictional manager’s journey to keep her new job and become a great leader in the process. That and more on today’s show.
Bob’s Thought of the Day
- An experience very early in my sales career where I learned that a successful team member doesn’t necessarily make a great leader.
- Why having a particular skillset doesn’t necessarily mean you can relate it to others.
- Why a team member must learn and develop the skillset to manage.
Interview with Katy Tynan
- The first step toward transitioning from a team member to a team leader.
- The five truths of management.
- Why leaders must do a good job of communicating the goals of the organization.
- Why it’s critical for new leaders to focus on the end game or result.
- The importance of an environment where the goals and vision are clear, and where people’s strengths and capabilities are valued.
- Why “carrot and stick management” doesn’t work in today’s world.
- The difference between predictive trust and vulnerability-based trust.
- Why psychological safety within a team helps move it forward.
Click to Tweet
Define the values your #team shares and measure everything you do against those #values. #vision @katytynan Click To Tweet
When you have a shared idea of a future state, you can all understand what you are striving for. #vision #leadership @katytynan Click To Tweet
How can I help this person be in a situation where they can be their very best? #leadership #teamwork @katytynan Click To Tweet
- How Did I Not See This Coming? A New Manager’s Guide to Avoiding Total Disaster by Katy Tynan
- Free Agent: The Independent Professional’s Roadmap to Self-Employment Success by Katy Tynan
- Survive Your Promotion! by Katy Tynan
- Katy’s blog
- Katy’s course “Create a Great Career Plan”
- Katy’s course “Survive Your Promotion”
- Connect with Katy on Facebook
- Connect with Katy on LinkedIn
- Connect with Katy on Google+
- Follow Katy on Twitter
- Watch Katy’s YouTube channel