There’s nothing wiser than seeking the wisdom of others. While we’ll look at that in our Thought of the Day, we’re going to skip the usual commercial afterwards so that we can go right into an interview that will be much longer than what we usually do. But I believe you’ll find our guest and his topic to be well worth it. Really, it’s one of the most fun conversations I’ve ever had, about one of the best books I’ve ever read. And the author is just 25 years old. That and more on today’s show.
Bob’s Thought of the Day
- A powerful thought from the legendary Jim Rohn: “From some people we learn what TO do, and from other people we learn what NOT to do.”
- Some of the ways we can learn from others and seek out wisdom.
- How a conversation with an icon in business, entertainment, athletics, or other area could make a dramatic difference in your life.
Interview with Alex Banayan
- Alex’s story, and why he felt stuck as a college freshmen.
- How Alex hacked his way onto The Price is Right and funded his dream by winning the Showcase Showdown.
- The way Alex overcame “the flinch” just before talking to Steven Spielberg.
- What “the third door” is, and why every successful person has gone through it.
- The two key lessons Alex learned from Tim Ferriss, including how to email a successful person.
- Alex’s strategy for connecting with Elliot Bisnow who became a treasured mentor.
- How one educator empowered Alex to follow his path.
- Why you can’t out-Amazon Amazon, but you can double down on what makes you…you.
- Inventor Dean Kamen and the value of reframing the question in a new way; one that is amenable to a different kind of solution.
- What Bill Gates taught Alex about negotiation.
- Lessons Alex learned from Sugar Ray Leonard, Pit Bull, Jessica Alba, Steve Wozniak, Jane Goodall, and Quincy Jones.
Click to Tweet
The greatest cure for nervousness is immediate action. @alexbanayan Click To Tweet
A tipping point only exists in hindsight. ~Elliot Bisnow via @alexbanayan Click To Tweet
There are specific times in life when you need to double down on what makes you you. @alexbanayan Click To Tweet
- The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How The World’s Most Successful People Launched Their Careers by Alex Banayan
- Connect with Alex on LinkedIn
- Follow Alex on Twitter
- Follow Alex on Instagram
- Alex’s YouTube channel
About the Book
The Go-Giver tells the story of an ambitious young man named Joe who yearns for success. Joe is a true go-getter, though sometimes he feels as if the harder and faster he works, the further away his goals seem to be. Joe learns that shifting his focus from getting to giving — constantly and consistently creating value for others — leads to exceptional returns.
Rapidly going from national bestseller to global phenomenon, The Go-Giver has gained a devoted following with over a million copies sold. It’s utilized as a resource in major corporations to small businesses, in schools and churches, in book clubs, and more. Nearly a decade since its original publication, this timeless story continues to help its readers find fulfillment and greater success in business, in their personal lives and in their communities.
Bob I can see why this was one of your favorite interviews ever because of Alex’s wild stories which really is a lesson to us to take action not to mention all the other pearls of wisdom and learnings he shares!
Thank you, Andrea. Indeed, right on the mark!! So glad to know you enjoyed it!!