There are two major benefits to listening — really listening — to your prospective customers and clients. We’ll look at that in our Thought of the Day. And in our interview segment, Meridith Elliott Powell shares an amazing story regarding how being laser-focused on the customer and truly empathetic created a sale for one sales person, while a lack of such had the exact opposite effect for his competitor. That and more on today’s show.
Bob’s Thought of the Day
- The two-step process for understanding what your customer wants, needs, and desires.
- What it means to “listen with the back of your neck.”
- Two beautiful results of this type of listening.
Interview with Meridith Elliott Powell
- A powerful story about a salesperson who showed amazing empathy to a doctor … and earned a six-figure sale as a result.
- Why there has never been a time when empathy was more important than it is right now.
- A story from Meridith’s days in the banking industry that illustrates why it’s critical to understand the customer and what they need.
- Wisdom from Simon Sinek’s book Leaders Eat Last: “Trust is a biological reaction to the belief that someone has your best interests at heart.”
- The real meaning of empathy: Sending the message “I heard you, I’m interested, I care.”
- The connection between empathy and successfully working with objections.
- The power of asking open-ended questions: you remain in control of the conversation, you get a little time to breathe, and you show empathy.
Click to Tweet
Why is #empathy REALLY such a difference-maker when it comes to sales? Perhaps the best example ever is shared by @meridithpowell in this episode of The Go-Giver Podcast. Click To Tweet
The great @meridithpowell shares a story about a sale … based totally on #empathy. It’s become one of Bob’s all-time favorites. Click To Tweet
#Empathy in sales is a gamechanger! We want to be listened to. We want to be heard. @meridithpowell Click To Tweet
- Own It: Redefining Responsibility by Meridith Elliott Powell
- Winning in The Trust & Value Economy by Meridith Elliott Powell
- The Best Sales Book Ever: Cut Through The Obstacles and Send Sales Through The Roof by Meridith Elliott Powell
- Meridith’s Books
- Previous The Go-Giver Podcast Interview with Meridith
- Meridith’s Online Courses
- Meridith’s Blog
- Meridith’s Speaking Page
- Connect with Meridith on Facebook
- Connect with Meridith on LinkedIn
- Follow Meridith on Twitter
- Follow Meridith on Instagram
- Meridith’s YouTube channel
About the Book
The Go-Giver tells the story of an ambitious young man named Joe who yearns for success. Joe is a true go-getter, though sometimes he feels as if the harder and faster he works, the further away his goals seem to be. Joe learns that shifting his focus from getting to giving — constantly and consistently creating value for others — leads to exceptional returns.
Rapidly going from national bestseller to global phenomenon, The Go-Giver has gained a devoted following with over a million copies sold. It’s utilized as a resource in major corporations to small businesses, in schools and churches, in book clubs, and more. Nearly a decade since its original publication, this timeless story continues to help its readers find fulfillment and greater success in business, in their personal lives and in their communities.